Navigate Up
Sign In
Menu

Cathedral of Saint Andrew - The Beginnings

The Beginnings
 
Father Frederic Baraga established the beginnings of Saint Andrew Church when he built the first church, St. Mary’s Mission, in 1833 amid Indian cornfields on the west bank of the Grand River.
Two years later, when Father Andreas Viszoczky became the pastor, he found a small church, rectory, and school building that Father Baraga had built. After the Indian population dispersed, Father Viszosky built a new church on Monroe Avenue, naming the parish for St. Andrew, his patron saint. The church, built from Grand River limestone, was completed in 1850 and was the largest building in town.
This church was soon too small for its growing population and, in 1875, a new church was built at its present location on Sheldon Boulevard. The Diocese of Grand Rapids was formed seven years later on May 19,1882. The first bishop, Henry Joseph Richter, chose Saint Andrew as his new cathedral. He was consecrated and installed bishop of Grand Rapids on April 22, 1883.
Today the Cathedral of Saint Andrew proudly stands in the central city as a place of acceptance and hospitality to its neighbors and to the community at large.
Return to Cathedral home